Saturday, January 12, 2013

Call me Phil

I made an announcement at dinner today that my name was no longer "Mom" nor was it "Mommy" or "Mama."  Bob suggested "Phil" and I like it.  I have heard my name today too many times to count.  I've heard it mostly as a term of protest.  Right this moment I am hearing it because someone is having issues getting his pajamas on.  He isn't asking for help (the sleeves are now inside out), oh no.  He is taking my name in vain (or my former name since I am now Phil) by whining and continuously calling out "Mama."

It's been a rough day, really since nap time on.  Right before nap the triplets were all singing the "Whine-a-lu-yah" chorus.  Kimi was mad because she got into trouble playing with toys instead of getting into her bed (the nerve).  LB was complaining because I dared to tell him to get into bed using his right foot first which was akin to asking him to row up Niagra Falls.(Let me just say that his right side is his stronger side.  So much so that we started insisting he use his left side, which of course he hated with a burning passion.  He became so proficient at his left side that I figured we'd better exercise that right side.  He apparently forgot how to get in with his right side)   Monkey boy was mad at some decision I made and took a swing at me with his "dot blankie."  Bad move, really bad move.  Dot blankie was confiscated (which is worse than getting disciplined) and so "precious was lost" (for you Lord of the Rings fans).  That set him off in a way that would finally come to an end several hours later.

I finally got the three of them to nap (no small feat) and came downstairs to upload pictures, only to find that I had reached the limit on my flickr account.  I then tried to open a new google account to co-author my blog (and get more pics on) which didn't work. 

 A little while later Monkey Boy (MB) awoke early from nap, which never bodes well.  So began the "mighty monkey meltdown" such as the world has never seen (I can't verify this, but am pretty confident it's true).  I'll spare the frightening details.  Have you ever read "The Taming of the Shrew?" Or how about "Band of Brothers?"  (I'm sure you are wondering how in the world the two can be related).  Here's what it boiled down to, someone's will had to break (the will that insisted that dot blankie needed to be his that very moment even though dot blanket would not come out of hiding until bedtime, IF there was a change in attitude) and the other someone had to "hold the line" and not break.  It was not pretty. 

The "someone" had to be put into solitary confinement (which is the bathroom, and is nicer than it sounds.  We have a carpeted area where the sink is, and the commode is in a separate little room.  I would have opted to stay there myself if I could have gotten away with it.  I stay close by and encourage whoever is in there that he/she can come out when he/she is in control.  The door is not locked and I will state again for the record that I would have been glad to lock myself in that room).  Monkey boy did all he could to get out of there without calming himself down.  At one point he started yelling that he was choking (which he of course was yelling using copious amounts of air).  When I went in to state that he couldn't be choking he started doing this dance that made him look like he was stomping grapes to make wine for his whine.  I laughed.  He was not amused.  One of us had to break (and boy was I close), but after about an hour, he calmed himself down and the battle was won.

By the time that was over, it was time to make dinner.  I looked forward to some peace and quiet in the kitchen when LB came down.  Then it started, "Mommeeee, wassa this Momeee? Issa a gabage truck Mommeeee! Mommeee, wassa this? Issa a crane Mommeee! Mommeee...." you get the picture.  I think he did slightly pause for a breath between questions, but I can't be certain.  I finally suggested that he go do something exciting...in the other room.

Then Kimi came down.  Dinner was almost ready.  She asked for a snack.  No snack, dinner was almost ready.  The "Whiner express" went for another trip down the tracks.  To the "reign it in room" she went where she thankfully got it together much faster.

We had dinner and LB decorated his shirt with half his bowl of soup. I told him to go change into his pajamas, which brings us to now.  Where he is still complaining and taking my name in vain.  Yes, it's been a long day.  Bedtime is near, I can make it... I think I can I think I can I think I can...

Signed,
Phil

1 comment:

  1. Phil, so sorry about the long day. You did make it, I'm sure, as you are one tough mom! I hope you had a relaxing Sunday. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete