Thursday, November 28, 2013

Bad bad Chinese mama

Yesterday there was universal acknowledgment that I was a bad bad Chinese mama (good thing I'm not actually Chinese).  Apparently it is a cardinal sin of epic proportions to allow your child's legs to show.  Ignorant of this fact was I, so I ridiculously dressed my daughter in leggings for our passport trip up to her hometown.  No good very bad idea.  From the start, people were trying to pull her pantlegs down so no skin of hers were showing.  While they did this, they spoke to me in Chinese and gave the old "tsk, tsk, tsk."  I really received the dressing down at the police station.  Two police women gave me very cross expressions as they touched Naomi's legs and hands, insisting that her hands were cold (I am assuming that's what they were saying, because remember, I don't speak Chinese).  Just for the record, I was holding her hand and it was warm.

P1060758

After they miraculously let me still have Naomi despite my lack of parenting skills, we were able to visit her SWI (Social Welfare Institute).  This was a huge facility, but there were "only" 100 kids in the whole place.  Adults lived here as well, so kids who are never adopted can spend their entire lives at this place.

P1060759 P1060762 P1060761 P1060764

When we arrived, it was lunchtime. As we entered into a courtyard there was a group of older kids/teens waiting for their lunch.  It had to be about 40 degrees and they were eating their lunch outside.  It was clear that most of these kids had Down's syndrome.  They were excited to see us and saluted me and said, "Hi!"  I thought, "Finally, people who know I don't speak Chinese!" 


P1060765 P1060792 P1060766 P1060767

We walked up a flight of stairs and came to a locked gate.  One of the nannies let us in and showed us around.  The floor we were on housed special needs kids.  Room after room was filled with metal cribs and kids sitting in them watching tv, or rocking themselves, or just sitting.  I could try to describe what it was like to witness it firsthand, but words escape me (for once).  I just knew I was extremely grateful to be getting my daughter out of there. 

P1060768 P1060772 P1060783
P1060775 P1060770 P1060784
I've failed to mention thus far that Sissy is a bit of a star in this country.  Everywhere we go, she gets stared at and we can tell people are talking about her.  She has gotten her picture taken several times with strangers.  She got to hold a baby who we wanted to take with us of course.

P1060787

Here I was trying to take a picture of the caretakers and Naomi when I saw a flash.  I realized that the caretakers were looking past me at Sissy and taking a picture of her as I was taking a picture of them.

P1060780

The trip was long, but the upside was that Naomi began to want to be with me (I guess I'm okay when no one from her "A" list is available).  At first she was crying and calling out and the guide told me she was either saying "milk" or "grandma."  I assured her that it was grandma that she wanted (Amma Pam).  After a while, Naomi began to tolerate me more and even held my hand as she fell asleep (major score there).  She favored Pam once again when we got back, but I didn't mind as she didn't seem to dislike me anymore.

P1060797

Thanksgiving is over for us, and we have one more day here until we depart for Guangzhou.  We are all very excited about moving on and being that much closer to going home.  I hope everyone enjoys their Thanksgiving feasts as much as we did.  We had...pizza! Shoot, that's good any day of the year!

P1060806

No comments:

Post a Comment