Thursday, December 5, 2013

There and back again

Oh my, how we are looking forward to being "back again."  This is my last post from China, yippee! We will be boarding a van bright and early to begin the long journey home.  As one mom put it, "I have been dreading that day the whole trip."  Of course, not dreading being home, but dreading the getting there.  In case you forgot, it's a long journey, especially with little ones.  Many prayers are going into this leg of our trip, and most of those are for our fellow passengers.

Unfortunately, Pam wasn't feeling so hot today, so I took the three girls to Shaiman Island.  We stayed there when we brought Kimi home in 2010.  The hotel we stayed in is undergoing a major renovation and is not slated to reopen for another year and a half.  So the next time we adopt, oh wait, I said we were done, didn't I?

Here is what the White Swan looks like now:

P1070066

Still lots of work to do.  It was sad going back, since the economy of the island was very dependent on adoptive families who stayed at the White Swan.  With it being closed for renovation, lots of small businesses on the island have had to close.

I was happy I went back.  The island is a beautiful, unique, and historical place.  The US Consulate used to be on the island.  The Polish embassy is still there.

P1070072

It's hard to see, but there are two guard stations in front of the building.

In the middle of the island, it is gorgeous.  There are many fun statues and lots of trees.

P1070047 P1070048 P1070049 P1070060 P1070070

This statue apparently shows the progression of the Chinese woman.  I guess it's very progressive to wear tight jeans and a midriff top...

P1070068

P1070058 Sissy pointed out the giant chess board.  Perhaps you use human chess pieces, because the ones around it didn't move.  By the way, the man to the left is turned around staring at my girls.









P1070059 














We saw some interesting happenings as well.  These guys were dressed in fatigues, but seemed to be doing some gymnastics training. 

P1070050 P1070051

We also watched a group of school kids walk by singing a song.  We kind of did some mutual staring, which I have come to realize is not rude in this country, so I've been staring with abandon.  It's actually kind of fun.  I have been suppressing the urge to stick out my tongue at people just to see what they'll do.  Anyway, these kids were too cute and seemed pleased to practice their English words of "Heh-low" and "Good-a-bye."

P1070053 P1070054 P1070055

This building looks like it belongs in New Orleans.

P1070045 P1070046

Because the island is very beautiful in spots, there are photographers everywhere.  There are many fashion photographers as well as wedding photographers.  I don't think this was for a wedding, so if this was for a fashion shoot, this guy was sure enjoying his job of modeling.

P1070063

Lydia could not bear to leave China.  Actually, she could not bear being told "no" by her mean nanny that calls herself "Mom."  She's so mean she takes pictures of her children when they are having fits so she has much blackmail material.

P1070071

I wasn't the only one photographing her.  Apparently it is not rude either to take pictures of other people's children without parental approval.  Oh that's right, I'm not the parent, I'm the nanny, the not nice one.

P1070075

Looking forward to blogging from home, but I doubt it'll be everyday. Okay, I know it won't be everyday.  This has been a long hard journey, but the road goes ever on and on, and there is much waiting for me further down the lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment